Loading map viewer...

[Map of Narragansett Bay]


Associated name

Des Barres, Joseph F. W. (Joseph Frederick Wallet), 1722-1824

Associated name

Prescott, Richard, 1725-1788

Former owner

Frazer, Sir Augustus Simon, 1776-1835

Former owner

Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies


[ca. 1777]


[producer not identified]


Scales differ




British Library

Collection (local)

British Library Collection

  • Fortification--Rhode Island--Narragansett Bay--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
  • Military art and science--Rhode Island--Narragansett Bay--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
  • Narragansett Bay (R.I.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
  • United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
  • Bristol (county)
  • Narragansett Bay
  • North and Central America
  • Rhode Island
  • United States

1 map on 3 sheets : joined, manuscript pen and ink with watercolour ;

Terms and License
  • No known copyright restrictions.
  • This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike License (CC BY-NC-SA).
  • Date attributed based on information shown on map; "Here the British Troops Landed Dec:a 1776" and "Mr Overing's Gen.' Prescot's Quarter" (General Prescott was abducted from his quarters July 10th 1777 thus suggesting a date of production prior to this date if the annotation suggests General Prescott is quartered at Overing House. However, the annotation may also have recorded the event after its occurrence)
  • Compare the map of Narragansett Bay published by J. F. W. des Barres in the "Atlantic Neptune" in 1777
  • Compare other manuscript maps of Narragansett Bay: the unattributed "[NARRAGANSETT BAY containing RHODE ISLAND]" (Add Ms 57,716.1-2.), "A map of the bay of Narraganset with the islands therein and part of the country adjacent" held by the Library of Congress (Call Number G3772.N3 1777 .B49) and by Charles Blaskowitz, and "[Narragansett Bay and the surrounding shores]" held by the William L. Clements Library (Maps 3-J-7 / Clinton Maps 58 - see Brun 275) and by Thomas Wheeler
  • Relief is shown by shading
  • Sounding depths are given
  • Shows scales at lower centre in yards; scales differ showing approximately 1:26,000 and 1:48,000)
  • Shows roads
  • Shows military fortifications and positions of troops - those shown here on Windmill Hill are not evident on the Des Barres publication, but do appear on the Faden publication ("A topographical chart of the bay of Narraganset in the province of New England, with all the isles contained therein, among which Rhode Island and Connonicut have been particularly surveyed, shewing the true position & bearings of the banks, shoals, rocks &c. as likewise the soundings; To which have been added the several works & batteries raised by the Americans. Taken by order of the principal farmers on Rhode Island" - see Library of Congress Call Number G3772.N3 1777 .B5).
  • Copy at Add Ms 27,715.3. Manuscript inscription in black ink at upper right shows "Presented by Colonel Sir Augustus Frazer K.C.B. R.A.". Paper reinstatement to right of map. Manuscript addition of "A 28/19" in pencil to verso. Illegible annotation to verso in ink. Green circular label to verso showing "21". White label to verso showing "DRAWER 29 SECTION 2". Blue label to verso showing "A 29/19". Manuscript addition of "262" in pencil to verso.



Digital Library